Tuesday, July 28, 2009


Baby Ender has been doing well. He is feeding regularly and sleeping a little too well. His sleep schedule is about 180° off from ours, so we spend all night awake and all day sleeping...in two hour shifts. It occurred to me that it is strange that fathers are so proud of having a child. I'm happy, but I don't think that I can take much credit for it, certainly not enough to be 'proud'. The only part of the process that I actively participated in was the step at the very beginning of the rollercoaster ride, you know, the part that was fun and enjoyable for everyone involved. After that my wife did all of the work. The only thing that I contributed was ample amounts of fear and nervous anticipation. She grew a person inside of her body. She grew a new organ that didn't exist before. She managed to pass a 3.8kg child out of her body after 22 hours of contractions. She is now providing nourishment for the child from her own body. What have I done for the kid so far? I've cleaned his bottom a few times and held him while she went to the bathroom to attend to the stitches in her bottom, the result of passing a 3.8kg child out of her body. I'm proud of my wife for not only accepting this enormous task, but for wanting to undertake it. I don't think that I would have been so willing. God bless you dear. I'm proud of myself for choosing you. For that, I'll take the credit.

No comments: